Saturday, March 26, 2016

Ombre desk

 
I bought this desk at an auction for 15.00.  My mom needs a small desk for her bedroom. I thought the size was perfect, the color/style not so much. It was pretty beat up , and dirty, so I did a good cleaning with Dawn dish washing soap and cleaned the pulls with vinegar and water. I did the chair a couple of weeks ago, you an see it HERE
 
 
 
As with the chair I used Pittsburgh paints Aqua Chiffon and Poppie's Paint Powder. Poppies can be added to any latex paint and make's it into a chalk type paint, with a great matte finish.

 
I added white and black to the Aqua chiffon to make the lighter and darker shades of the ombre drawers I spray painted the drawer pulls white. The top of the desk and base was painted a gray ( I think it is called Architectural, but is hard to read, as the container is covered in paint) by Sherwin Williams also mixed with Poppie's Paint Powder.
 
I used a dry brush/wash technique on the top, which I will talk about in a little more detail on another posting. (Stay tuned...)
 
 
Here is the chair in case you didn't see the previous posting.

 
After I finished painting the drawers, I distressed the drawer fronts a bit with sandpaper.  I sealed the whole project with polyacrylic.
 
Yes the daffodils are in bloom in Ohio! That makes me so happy!

 
Most of my accessories were 1.00 finds or free bottles, vases and candlesticks that I chalk painted last week. They will be going with me to the Maker's Market in East Sparta May 14th. And the lovely ceramic cream and sugar bowl were Goodwill finds also.

 
Stop back next week for the technique tutorial on the desk top.
 
Happy Easter, Michelle

No comments: